History

After 130 years, many of the family names whose ancestors founded this parish are still listed in the Richfield and Bloomington telephone books: Haeg, Adelmann, Christian, Doerfler, Hausler, Boeser,Yetzer, Pahl, Kraemer, Baumgartner, Alt, Houser, Duell, Posch, Link, Friendshuh, Gruer, Steg, and Blatz. These German pioneers were the founders of the German Catholic Church in “Bloomfield, Minnesota”.

With courage and trust in God, they started building, doing most of the work themselves.  Ten years after the church opened, a fire caused by a lightning strike reduced it to a pile of ashes.  By the end of 1886 a new church was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Assumption.

The care of the mission church was entrusted to the Benedictine fathers who celebrated Mass twice a month for the next fourteen years.

It was the year 1916, when Father Peter Schmitz, a member of the Congregation of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, accepted an offer to become the pastor of Assumption. One of the challenges he faced was addressing the nationality question in a parish where Catholic belief proclaimed: “There is neither Jew nor Greek, but Christ is all in all”. Fr. Schmitz made it clear that the parish, despite its strong German roots, must accept everyone, regardless of their nationality.  Since 1887, the basement of the church had been used as a school.  It was dark, damp and too cold in the winter. A new two room school and convent were built in 1898-1899 and the Benedictine Sisters from St. Joseph, Minnesota arrived to teach the children.

In 1917, a four room school with a large parish hall in the basement was ready for the fall term.  Students had to attend classes for nine months. Until then, the older children started school after the farm work was finished in October, leaving school in March to help with the spring planting. Father Schmitz also discontinued using the German language for catechism, bible history and prayers.  Because of anti-German sentiments during the First World War, the disappearance of German as a spoken language was happening all over the United States.

The old European custom of seating the men on one side of the church and the women on the other continued until after World War II, when couples came into church and began to sit together.

In the 1950’s, the ushers’ program was initiated to help rearrange the people in order to end the segregation of men and women.

From the 1920’s well into the 1940’s, Richfield and Bloomington were filled with small truck or “garden farms”. During the post-war period, 1945-1965, many of these farms were plotted into lots for new homes. These new homes brought many new, young families to crowd into the old German church.

After 34 years as pastor, Fr. Schmitz retired due to poor health.  Fr. Emil Twardochleb, another Oblate, came to the parish in 1950, at which time there were 330 students in the school. The school enrollment began to increase in the 1950’s, with a peak enrollment of 1,170 students from 1959-1961.

When Father William Coovert came to Assumption as pastor in 1953, he realized that it was necessary at once to expand the church and school because of overcrowding. Land was acquired from Henry Doerfler and Barbara Elsen to be used for new buildings.

With a promise of a loan of $335,000 from the Catholic Aid Association, work commenced on the new church and seven new classrooms, which were dedicated in 1954. At that time, there were 1,300 families registered in Assumption Parish, and 1,000 school children. In 1957, 11 more classrooms were added to the school and the choir loft was added to the church.

During the fifties and the sixties, the church was the social center for young families: Christian Mothers’ meetings, the Cana Club dinner, the Holy Name Men’s Club, the three day Fun Fest, the Fall Dinner, the Adult Study Clubs and the Parti Gras. There was always a shortage of space and facilities, and as usual, the people of Assumption rose to the challenge. In 1962, under the guidance of Father Cyril Foppe, 500 men and 125 women formed the “broom brigade”. For four years, they swept the Metropolitan Stadium after every baseball game.  Almost every parishioner was a sweeper, a caller, an elevator operator, a go cart driver or a baby sitter. The proceeds earned paid for 2/3 the cost of the Activities Building, which was completed in 1963.

The Second Vatican Council, 1962-1965, brought many changes in the Catholic Church. Spiritual renewal, lay involvement and ecumenism were new concepts. English gradually replaced Latin during the Mass, and the altar was moved to face the people on December 10, 1964. The communion rail disappeared, as did the wearing of hats or veils by women in church.

During the seventies and eighties, the parish began to grow older, so that by 1975 there were only 343 students in Assumption School. There were fewer Benedictine Nuns and more lay teachers were hired.

In 1977 the sisters left Assumption. In 1984, after 68 years of service, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate returned the parish to the care of the Archdiocese of St. Paul & Minneapolis. Since then, the priests of the Archdiocese have served faithfully at Assumption from 1984-2004: Fathers Ralph Goman, Chris Russell and Michael Tix.

In 1994 Assumption, St. Richard and St. Peter schools consolidated to form Blessed Trinity Catholic School. With enrollment of more than 400 students, BT continues to serve the three parishes and represent the ethnic diversity of our area. First dedicated more than a century ago, hundreds of Assumption parishioners are buried in its cemetery, which borders the church.  In 2001, an addition to the original cemetery was dedicated featuring a bronze sculpture of the Risen Christ.

In June 2004, Fr., Thomas Merrill, a Conventual Franciscan, was appointed as pastor. During this time, the growing Latino community continues to take its place alongside longtime parishioners. Assumption clearly reflects the unity that our Catholic Faith preaches--  In our diversity, we believe in “One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism...”

In 2010, Father Charles McCarthy (OFM Conv.) was appointed Pastor at Assumption Parish.

On July 1st 2014, Father Michael Kueber (Brotherhood of the People of Praise) a diocesan Priest from Portland Oregon was appointed Pastor at Assumption Parish.


Historia de la Parroquia

Después de 130 años, muchos de los apellidos cuyos antepasados fundaron esta parroquia aún figuran en las listas telefónicas de Richfield y Bloomington: Haeg, Adelmann, Christian, Doerfler, Hausler, Boeser, Yetzer, Pahl, Kraemer, Baumgartner, Alt, Houser, Duell , Posch, Link, Friendshuh, Gruer, Steg y Blatz. Estos pioneros alemanes fueron los fundadores de la Iglesia Católica Alemana en "Bloomfield, Minnesota".

Con valentía y confianza en Dios, comenzaron a construir, haciendo la mayor parte del trabajo ellos mismos. Diez años después de la apertura de la iglesia, un incendio causado por un rayo lo redujo a un montón de cenizas. A finales de 1886 se dedicó una nueva iglesia a la Santísima Virgen María de la Asunción.

El cuidado de la iglesia misionera fue confiado a los padres benedictinos que celebraban la misa dos veces al mes durante los catorce años siguientes.

Era el año 1916, cuando el P. Peter Schmitz, miembro de la Congregación de los Oblatos de María Inmaculada, aceptó el ofrecimiento de ser pastor de la Asunción. Uno de los desafíos que enfrentó fue abordar la cuestión de la nacionalidad en una parroquia donde la creencia católica proclamaba: "No hay judío ni griego, sino Cristo es todo en todos". Fr. Schmitz dejó claro que la parroquia, a pesar de sus fuertes raíces alemanas, debe aceptar a todos, independientemente de su nacionalidad. Desde 1887, el sótano de la iglesia había sido utilizado como una escuela. Estaba oscuro, húmedo y demasiado frío en el invierno. Una nueva escuela y un convento de dos cuartos fueron construidos en 1898-1899 y las hermanas benedictinas de St. Joseph, Minnesota llegaron para enseñar a los niños.

En 1917, una escuela de cuatro cuartos con un pasillo parroquial grande en el sótano estaba lista para el término del otoño. Los estudiantes tuvieron que asistir a clases por nueve meses. Hasta entonces, los niños mayores comenzaron la escuela después de que el trabajo de la granja fue terminado en octubre, dejando la escuela en marzo para ayudar con la siembra de la primavera. El padre Schmitz también dejó de usar el idioma alemán para el catecismo, la historia bíblica y las oraciones. Debido a los sentimientos anti-alemanes durante la Primera Guerra Mundial, la desaparición del alemán como lengua hablada estaba ocurriendo en todo Estados Unidos.

La antigua costumbre europea de sentar a los hombres de un lado de la iglesia y las mujeres del otro continuó hasta después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, cuando las parejas entraron en la iglesia y empezaron a sentarse juntas.

En los años 50, el programa de los ujieres fue iniciado para ayudar a reorganizar a la gente para terminar con la segregación de separar a hombres y mujeres.

Desde la década de 1920 hasta la década de 1940, Richfield y Bloomington se llenaron de pequeñas "granjas y jardineras". Durante el período de la posguerra, 1945-1965, muchas de estas granjas fueron trazadas en los lotes para los nuevos hogares. Estos nuevos hogares trajeron a muchas familias jóvenes a la vieja iglesia alemana.

Después de 34 años como pastor, el P. Schmitz se retiró debido a la mala salud. Fr. Emil Twardochleb, otro Oblato, llegó a la parroquia en 1950, momento en el que había 330 estudiantes en la escuela. La matrícula escolar comenzó a aumentar en la década de 1950, con un aumento de matrículacion de 1.170 estudiantes de 1959-1961.

Cuando el Padre William Coovert llegó a la Asunción como pastor en 1953, se dio cuenta de que era necesario expandir la iglesia y la escuela por la superpoblación. La tierra fue adquirida de Henry Doerfler y Barbara Elsen para ser utilizado en los nuevos edificios.

Con una promesa de un préstamo de $ 335,000 de la Catholic Aid Association, comenzaron las obras de la nueva iglesia y de siete nuevas aulas, que se dedicaron en 1954. En esa época había 1.300 familias registradas en la parroquia de Asunción y 1.000 escolares. En 1957, se agregaron 11 aulas más a la escuela y el balcón para el coro fue agregado a la iglesia.

Durante los años cincuenta y sesenta, la iglesia fue el centro social de las familias jóvenes: las reuniones de madres cristianas, la cena de Cana, el Club de Hombres del Santo Nombre, la Fiesta de Diversión de tres días, la Cena de Otoño. Siempre había una escasez de espacio e instalaciones, y como de costumbre, la gente de la Asunción venció los desafíos. En 1962, bajo la dirección del Padre Cyril Foppe, 500 hombres y 125 mujeres formaron la "brigada de escobas". Durante cuatro años, barrieron el Estadio Metropolitano después de cada partido de béisbol. Casi todos los feligreses eran un barrendero, voceros, un operador de ascensor, un conductor de carrito o una niñera. Los ingresos obtenidos pagaron por 2/3 el costo del edificio de actividades, que se completó en 1963.

El Concilio Vaticano II, 1962-1965, trajo muchos cambios en la Iglesia Católica. La renovación espiritual, el compromiso laical y el ecumenismo fueron nuevos conceptos. El inglés fue reemplazando gradualmente al latín durante la misa y el altar fue cambiado al frente de la gente el 10 de diciembre de 1964. El pasillo de la comunión desapareció, al igual que el uso de sombreros o velos para las mujeres en la iglesia.

Durante los años setenta y ochenta, la parroquia comenzó a envejecer, por lo que en 1975 había sólo 343 estudiantes en la Escuela de la Asunción. Había menos monjas benedictinas y más maestros seglares fueron contratados.

En 1977 las hermanas dejaron Assumption. En 1984, después de 68 años de servicio, los Oblatos de María Inmaculada devolvieron la parroquia al cuidado de la Arquidiócesis de San Pablo y Minneápolis. Desde entonces, los sacerdotes de la Arquidiócesis han servido fielmente en Asunción de 1984 a 2004: los padres Ralph Goman, Chris Russell y Michael Tix.

En 1994, las escuelas de la Asunción, St. Richard y St. Peter se consolidaron para formar la Escuela Católica de Blessed Trinity. Con la inscripción de más de 400 estudiantes, BT sigue sirviendo a las tres parroquias y representando la diversidad étnica de nuestra área. Dedicado hace más de un siglo, a los cientos de feligreses de la Asunción que están enterrados en el cementerio, que bordea la iglesia. En 2001, una adición al cementerio original fue dedicada con una escultura de bronce del Cristo Resucitado.

En junio de 2004, fue nombrado párroco el P. Thomas Merrill, franciscano conventual. Durante este tiempo, la comunidad latina comenzó a crecer tomando su lugar junto a los feligreses que ya tenían más años en esta comunidad. La Asunción refleja claramente la unidad que predica nuestra Fe Católica. En nuestra diversidad, creemos en "Un solo Señor, una sola Fe, un solo Bautismo ..."

En 2010, el Padre Charles McCarthy (OFM Conv.) Fue nombrado Pastor en la parroquia de la Asunción.

El 1 de julio de 2014, el Padre Michael Kueber (Hermandad del Pueblo de Alabanza) sacerdote diocesano de Portland Oregon fue nombrado Pastor en la Parroquia de la Asunción.